When you have one or more missing teeth, you may develop other health issues. If the missing teeth are in the front, they can reduce your self-confidence and cause you to be embarrassed to smile. However, no matter where the missing teeth are in your mouth, they leave a gap that allows other teeth to shift position, tilt and become crooked. A gap also has an effect on the underlying bone, because without a tooth to exercise the bone during chewing, it may start to deteriorate, so you gradually have bone loss. Dentures and removable bridges do not treat these issues. Dental implants are the only treatment that helps maintain the integrity of the bone. They look and function like natural teeth.
Here are the top benefits of dental implants:
1. Dental implants are a long-term solution. Since the bone grows around the artificial titanium root, they are held firmly in the same way as a natural tooth. They last for years and, in some cases, for a lifetime. They are brushed and flossed in the same way.
2. You can enjoy food, speaking and smiling without worrying about your teeth. With dentures, you may have an embarrassing clicking sound when you eat or speak, but there is nothing like that with implants. You can bite an apple and eat all the foods you love without dietary restrictions. This also helps you chew your food well for better nutrition.
3. When you have a gap in your teeth, and the bone starts to deteriorate, your cheek may sag into the space. This will make you look older than you are. Dental implants not only fill the gap in your teeth, but they also maintain the integrity of the jawbone so you never get sagging cheeks.
4. Your false teeth stay in your mouth and not in a cup by your bed. Since they are cleaned like natural teeth, there is no soaking in cleaning solution or special adhesive to keep them in your mouth. There is no chance your dental implants will slip and fall out.
5. Dental implants don’t decay. They never have cavities that need to be filled. They do need regular checkups just like natural teeth.
6. Dental implants protect healthy teeth. With a bridge, the teeth on either side of the gap may need to be drilled and prepared to accept the bridge. With implants, only the missing tooth is replaced. The teeth on either side are not touched. Implants may also be used as an anchor for dentures and bridges.
7. Dental implants have a high success rate. They have a track record of success for more than 50
If you have missing teeth, ask our specialist at the office of Dr. Michael Sohl about dental implants. They are the standard, long-term solution for comfort and functionality in replacing missing teeth. Contact us today to schedule a consultation in Stuart!